I am sending to you a thank you words, so kind to me; one thing is how you helped me to be able to walk again.
During the next 17 second, an older adult will be treated in a Hospital ER for injuries sustained from a fall. In the next 30 minutes, an older adult will die from injuries sustained in a fall. In the US, falls are the leading cause of death among adults 65 and older.
In 2010, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention released the following statistics:
- Among older adults, falls are the leading cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries.
- 1 out of 3 older adults fall each year.
- Less than half of those that fall ever talk to their healthcare providers about it.
- +95% of hip fractures are caused by falls.
- +97% of wrist fractures are caused by falls.
- In 2010, almost 22,000 adults died from fall related injuries
- In 2010, the direct medical cost of falls, adjusted for inflation, was $30 Billion.
Statistical evidence clearly demonstrates that the following actions reduce the risk of falling:
- Being screened by a medical professional
- Performing weight bearing & balance exercises
- Getting adequate calcium & vitamin D
At Total Care Physical Therapy of Nashville, we offer a comprehensive fall prevention program. We start with a complete balance/fall prevention screening where we utilize standardized tests to clearly objectify balance performance.
We evaluate the three major systems used in balance: vision, inner ear, and neurological feedback from feet. Through evaluation, we can identify deficits in these systems & provide individualized programs to minimize fall risk.
In addition to weight bearing & balance exercises, our programs include client education on common causes of falls, best practices for fall prevention, home-place modifications to limit fall risk, and assistive devices used when appropriate.
If you are in need of our fall prevention services, Contact Us Today at Antioch, TN Center.